Thursday, March 27, 2014

The world is amazing

I needed to get this down before I went to sleep.

I went to the same bar as last night for a single whiskey.  While sitting there, the gentleman to my right struck up a conversation when his friend went to the bathroom.  He asked why I was traveling without my family and I told him that I had never had children and my wife passed away a year ago.  And that this trip was part of my healing.

His eyes welled up.   And in broken English, explained that his wife died 2 weeks ago and that he was in Kyoto to spend time with family and his best friend. We (he, his best friend, and I) sat together, cried together and had a drink together.  I'm crying right now as I type this.  Not out of sadness.  But more out of wonder.

How is it that I ended up in that place at that time?  I am not a believer in a god that demands prayer.  But yet, I am fairly spiritual.  And today, I helped that man.  And he helped me.

We exchanged emails and hope to meet up when I get back to Tokyo next week (which is where he lives).

I am amazed.

2 comments:

  1. The best entry yet. Pictures are amazing, the stories with them are exceptional, yet this one brings anticipation of what may be next.
    Thanks for sharing, Andy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lloyd.
      This was certainly the most personal entry. I just typed it and hit "publish". I sent him an email, and he responded today. We are gonna get together in Tokyo next week.

      I truly feel blessed.

      Delete