Tuesday, March 25, 2014

I’ve now been in Japan for just over 24 hours.  My first day was packed. But wait!  you don’t know how I got here!  My flight left LAX at 0045 and went off without a hitch.  And that was my first taste of Japanese behavior.  The ANA gate opened at 2135.  I wanted to get behind security as quickly as possible so (since my hotel checkout was 2000), so I was at the gate at 2100.  Already there was a very long line of business class passengers  neatly lined up.  I got into line.  No complaining, no pushing.  Nobody tried to cut in, even if families were split up.  I offered to let a family go together in front of me, and they were astounded.  Apparently, that is just “not done”   Once I was checked in, I rested a bit, and we boarded at midnight.  The seats were comfortable (albeit a little complicated to a non-Japanese reader), and once airborne, I fell into a deep sleep.  I awoke 9 hours later, very stiff, but well rested.  Got up, moved about a bit and spoke to the flight attendants.  These were some of the most lovely women.  They gave me advice on my trip, and asked me LOTS of questions (they were surprised to see a man my age traveling for pleasure alone).

I arrived at Haneda at 0350 local time.  Immigration/Customs took 5 min, but everything was closed (trains start at 0500, busses at 0700), so I took a $70 cab to my hotel, showered and changed.  I headed out to walk to the Tsukiji fish market which should have been a 1K walk.  A wrong turn turned it into around 2 miles.  I was not complaining, since I got to orient myself and saw some interesting neighborhoods.  

The Fish market was amazing.  It was the epitome of organized chaos.







I went to get a Sushi/sashimi rice bowl for breakfast— Sea Urchin, Fatty Tuna, Scallops and regular tuna with rice, pickled daikon, wasabi, soy and nori flakes.  The best $20 sushi I’ve had.  And it was at 0800!!



Then to walk off breakfast (after a walk around the wholesaler area which opened at 0900)

I walked to Ginza (where everything was closed) and then back to my hotel.  I figured I walked around 6-7 miles.  And it was 1100!!!  Time for a nap.  2 hours later, I was ready to go learn the train system.  Bought my PASMO pass, and took a train to Tokyo station to exchange my voucher for my JR pass.

Let me explain.  Foreign tourists (you must be on a tourist visa) can buy an all access pass for JR trains in the country (JR=Japan Rail) except a few super express Shinkasen (bullet trains).  You can use them on the regular Shinkasen (which is where I’m typing this).  The caveat is that you must purchase a voucher BEFORE you get to Japan, and then exchange that voucher once you arrive.  The people at the counters all speak wonderful English and explain things well.  A PASMO card is for use on the Tokyo subway and busses, and many other subway systems throughout the country.  You load the card, and pay for each trip.  You can even use it at some vending machines and some shops.  If there is left over once done, you can get a refund.

Across from Tokyo station is the Imperial Palace grounds. 

I walked around a bit (I did not have reservations for a tour of the interior grounds)



and then walked back to Ginza to look at the shops (especially the SONY store—what a cool place).  I didn’t take any pics there.

By this time, I was getting tired.  Took the train back to my Shiodome hotel, where I got to experience a Japanese girl pop concert which was being given at the station.  I was forbidden from taking pics here, but I was amused by the crowd.  Mostly young “Salarymen” in their dark blue or black suits coming home from work.  And young (10 and under)girls with their moms.  I lasted about 5 min before the blood coming out of my ears made me decide to go back to the hotel for a drink. 

Cleaned up and time for dinner.  When I almost dozed off during my meal, I decided to call it a night.  In bed at 2030 (that is 8:30PM!!)  10 hours later, I feel great, and made my way back to Tokyo station during rush hour to catch my 0904 train to Kyoto (on the “non-express” bullet train).  The doors to the train opened at 0900 and the train started moving at 0904.

I’m really enjoying the people here.  While I would not recommend taking the subway to downtown Tokyo with a suitcase at 8am, I made it unscathed through the busiest train station in the world at the busiest time of day.  And I only upset one or two people.  And that was when I went toward the wrong set of tracks and had to turn around mid stream.  Luckily, no “pushers” were needed on my trains.

And one more thing.  I need this in my life on a permanent basis. 



A toilet with a heated seat, and built in bidet/butt sprayer  AND an ass/taint dryer?  Never has taken a poo been so pleasurable.

No comments:

Post a Comment