Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Kyoto

Alright,  so yesterday I typed on my train ride from Tokyo to Kyoto.  I realized that I forgot an important thing.  If you are not in a rush to get somewhere, don't ride the Tokyo subway at 0800 of a workday!!  I had heard the stories, but I'm originally from New York, and have ridden the NYC subway during rush hour.  Well, I had no idea.
There are two major differences.

  1. People drive on the wrong side of the road here.  Which means that instead of passing on the left, you pass on the right.  I was staying on the right side because that would keep me out of the way.  WRONG!!!!  Luckily, I'm a quick study, and didn't make too much of an ass out of myself (hauling a roller suitcase didn't help matters)
  2. Commuters here are VERY organised.  Unlike NYC where it is a free for all, here in Japan, the traffic is very orderly.  But very fast moving.  It is far easier to cut across a wide, chaotic stream than it is to cut across a torrent.  Well, I figured it out anyway.
Once I got to Tokyo station, getting to my Shinkansen (bullet train) track was easy.  And as I said yesterday, boarding was fast and easy.  3 hours on a high speed rail and I was in Kyoto.  My hotel is owned by JR and is part of the train station.  I checked my bags with them and went to eat some Ramen.  I forgot to take a picture of the way that you order but it was pretty weird.  You go to a vending machine, choose your dish, any add ons (like an egg, or a rice set to accompany) and pay the vending machine which gives you a ticket.  Then you wait in line until a seat is ready.  When you sit down, they take your ticket and make your ramen.

Kyoto train station is amazing by the way.  In addition to the hotel (which is very nice), there are more restaurants than I can count, bars, a shopping mall, a high end department store named ISetan (think Neiman Marcus).  It is also an architecturally beautiful building.  I don't think my pics do it justice, but I'll try.


While taking these pics I also had my first Geisha sighting.

The first woman I assume is a Geisha, and the others are likely Maiko (in training) or possibly Hangyoku (apprentices).  Now, there are many women who wear this garb when acting as servers or hostesses in restaurants, but these women were the real deal.  They did not have the full face makeup, nor have any that I've seen about town.  Apparently that is only for specific types of entertaining.

Then out to look at some shrines and temples.  Which is what I did yesterday afternoon and all day today.  The weather yesterday was cloudy and cool.  Today it rained.  And rained.  And rained some more.  Thank goodness for waterproof hiking boots and a good waterproof jacket.  Today's weather also reinforced my decision to get a weather sealed camera.  (thanks Olympus!!)  I was limited to my kit lens though, since the primes are not waterproof (no more camera geek talk-- I promise).

I find this country's fascination with religion...fascinating!  (my Composition Prof would have failed me for that one).  The shrines and temples that I visited these last two days are from various  Japanese schools of Buddhism , but there is also a Shinto shrine (the Orange and Green one).  But most people here don't define themselves as either Buddhist or Shinto.  Many practice one, the other or neither.  Some are Christian, but still have ancestral shrines.  The people mix and match and seem to be non judgemental about it.  













Somebody told the Koi it was snack time (no I didn't have any)

I love this guy in his suit, riding his bike home

Sand in the shape of Mt. Fuji





The Philosopher's walk





An honest to goodness rickshaw!!





That "tree" is all paper from donations to the shrine in honor of the Spring Festival






Most of the Cherry trees have yet to bloom, although a good number have lost their blooms.

Check out all of the older women fighting at the Budo Center!

5 comments:

  1. Nice to be living vicariously through you. Keep these coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very awesome sir! Although we do miss you during games :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ingrid, But with the time difference it just ain't happening. Next season for sure!!

      Delete
  3. Glad you are enjoying it Ajda.

    ReplyDelete