Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Back to Tokyo

Sorry I haven't posted in a few.  Because of that this is gonna be a big post with lots of pictures.  The last few days were spent doing lots of "city" stuff.  Walking around and people watching, shopping, and most importantly, viewing the cherry blossoms.  And I'm putting my text in amongst the pictures so you understand what some of these pics are.

The buds began to open in earnest this past weekend, so life in Tokyo slows down to allow viewing with your family and friends.  I thought that only the weekends were crazy,  WRONG!!  The parks were absolutely packed (as you will see).  But first, let's go back to Monday.  I caught the Shinkasen in Hiroshima to Tokyo, and midway between Kyoto and Tokyo, I looked up and saw this out the window. (not bad for a cell phone pic at 200+MPH)

Continued onto Tokyo, where I needed to pick up one of my bags at the hotel where I spent my first night, and then onto my new hotel to check in.  My legs were still killing me from the hike on Sunday, but on unpacking I saw that my MacBook power cord had gotten damaged during my packing.  So I headed out to Shinjuku station to go to Bic Camera (one of two Electronics MegaStores here in Tokyo) to get a new one. 

This place was geek heaven (actually, I liked Yodobashi Camera a little better the next day)


Then I headed out, ate at a little Chinese place nearby and walked around.  This area is weird.  Restaurants mixed in with hostess bars, sex shops, video game arcades, and pachinko halls.  I didn't have my camera with me, so the cell pics will have to do.

 Then back to the hotel for a drink and an early night to bed




Tuesday morning I woke up, and headed out to go to Ueno park to see the Sakura (Cherry blossoms)  I figured 1030 on a Tuesday would not be too crowded.  As I said above.  WRONG!!  My first clue came when I arrived at Ueno train station, and I had to wait 20min to leave.  Then I saw this:




I walked around a bit, taking pictures of the families and groups of kids/adults throughout the park










They teach the kids to make the "peace sign" with pictures early






I even saw some doggies!!  (which made me really  miss my girls who I haven't seen in two weeks)





It did make me laugh at how some people really felt it was better to look good than to be comfortable for a day in the park.




Some more pictures of the park and flowers.








I walked around the area, then took a train to Akihabara (the electronics district)  where I experienced my first introduction to Anime culture.  An entire multifloor store for Anime.  I walked through the ground floor (figurines), and since it wasn't my scene, left after that.









I even got to see some street food on a stick (I ate the noodles)



While in Akihabara, I went into Yodobashi Camera where I saw my first commercially available 3D printer. 

I watched some people draw on the Wacom tablets/touchscreens...
 Then back to the hotel for a good meal, where I sat next to a young couple who had married THAT DAY!!


I awoke this morning somewhat hungover, so I decided to walk it off.  


 Took the train to Harajuku which is a "Hip" district.  My first stop though, was the Mejii shrine.  A shinto shrine devoted to Emperor Mejii, who opened Japan to the rest of the world.   But while I could walk around the grounds, nobody was allowed near the actual shrine except certain VIPs.
 I saw a bunch of guys standing around who looked like this
 But I could still see part of the grounds, which were very pretty.


 As I was leaving the grounds (about 30 min later) I saw this...
 I asked security, and discovered that the Emperor was coming to the shrine for a private ceremony. This is his car.  If you look real close, maybe you can see a person inside.
About an hour later, while walking, into Yoyogi Park I saw this

They got into one of those big black cars immediately after I took this pic.  I don't know who this man is, but I suspect he is important.

I walked around Harajuku, but only took a few pictures.  Most of the kids in weird dress (which is what the district is best known for) were really young, and I didn't want to be "that pervy guy".  I did take a few though...








Finally, I walked through Yoyogi park to Shibuya, got lost, walked some more until I found my way to the train station.
Notice all the "salarymen" leaving to go to lunch




This is a statue of Hachiko.  A dog who waited for his master every day at Shibuya station, and continued for 9 years after his master died.  I love dogs.


I'm assuming these two were famous by the way the kids were reacting.  I don't know who they are though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment