Saturday, April 5, 2014

Nikko

After a few days in Tokyo, I took a day trip to Nikko, another holy place. I woke up early, caught a local train to Tokyo station, then a Shinkasen 3 stops toward Sendai and then transfer to the Nikko railway.  I was relying on Google maps to plot the route, and they hadn't let me down yet.  I got off the train to this.


And nothing else.  Hrm.  Something is wrong.  I left the station to discover that I'd left the train one stop too early.  SO, I waited the 20min for the next train.  (there was no other way to get the 10km)


Ahhh, that's more like it.  This is the oldest extant train station in Japan.  It was cool and looked like more rain (luckily stayed dry though).  I then walked the 2-3km through town to get to the Rinnō-Ji Temple complex.  On the way, I saw the town government offices

and then made my way to the park that holds all the historical buildings.

Crossed the river, and...LOOK MORE STAIRS!  (I really didn't mind, my legs had recovered by now)
Unfortunately for me, the main temple at Rinnō-Ji is being renovated.  And by renovated, I mean dissembled completely and rebuilt.  And renovating the Buddhas.  So only one Buddha was able to be viewed (no photographs inside any of the Buddhist temples, so you guys can't even see the one I saw).

They did allow us to see the renovation, which I thought was incredible.  It is set to be finished in 2020 for the Tokyo Olympics (Himeji Castle is undergoing the same type of renovation).  So they build a steel building around the temple and then take it apart, find areas of bug damage or rot (these are purely wooden buildings made without nails or glue) and then recut and treat new cedar and rebuild.




I walked around the gorgeous grounds and meditated a bit

I then headed up to Tōshō-gūTōshō-gū which is the mausoleum of Tokugawa-Ieyasu, the founder of the Tokugawa Shogunate.  These grounds are unbelievable, and are a Shinto Shrine.























There were some vending machines up at the top of those stairs, and the old question of how they fill the machine and empty the garbage was answered.
This guy has got to have one of the world's hardest jobs.  But I bet his legs are iron. (this was him walking down-later I saw him carrying cases of cans of coffee, water and green tea-UP the stairs)

They have a nice museum with artifacts from that period, and then I walked back to the train.  First stopping for some Udon and Yakitori. 

The sun came out for my walk back to the station.  But while on the train, there were some bad electrical storms, so I won't complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment